Sonntag, April 09, 2006

Today I had the privilege of joining two friends on a trip to St. Florian, home of the oldest Augustinian monastery in Austria. The occasion was the Palm Sunday mass in which some of our friends were performing.
The organ at the back of the church has become known as the Bruckner Organ, because Anton Bruckner is buried underneath it. It's a very large organ, with 32 foot pipes in the facade, the first in Austria, I believe.
Walking into a church for the first time is always an awe-inspiring moment for me, and this morning was no exception! The ceiling frescos and the wood carvings and the marble altar were amazing to behold.
I couldn't believe how large this monastery was! And so beautiful. Music has been an important part of the Stift since its beginning and there is a beautiful hall where groups such as The Academy of Ancient Music and Ton Koopman and others come to perform in.
The surrounding town is also very nice. We had lunch and walked around and just enjoyed the day. I love the gently rolling hills and the farmland. It was nice to get out of the city for a day. So many flowers are blooming and the smells of spring are in the air. I could live in St. Florian.

View My Stats