Montag, März 12, 2007

Another common critter on the island is the goat. The land is quite sparse and the hills very steep, so the easiest way to maintain it is just let a bunch of goats roam around, and roam they do. We saw a couple guard dogs lounging on the road, but that doesn't keep the goats from wandering across. I heard one of the most amazing sounds as we drove down this particular road. There were probably 200 goats of different shapes and sizes grazing between the valley and the top of the hill, and every one of them was wearing a bell. We just stopped the car and listened. The closest thing I can compare it to would be standing in the shop of a windchime maker when a very gentle breeze is blowing. It was a very cool experience and I wish I had had my recorder with me!

View My Stats