Mittwoch, Oktober 11, 2006

This evening I went to a concert. Bach, Telemann, period instruments, L'Orfeo Barockorchester, all taking place in an old castle. I was sitting there imagining what it might be like to be dressed like the people on the tapestries along the wall and hearing the 'new' pieces of the evening. It's very easy to think about the glamorous side of living in a fortress on a hill surrounded by a moat with a view of the surrounding area. But I stopped in the room containing weapons from over the centuries, and there is nothing glamorous about their survival. The thing that stood out to me was that even among the cruel struggle for existence the people were able to take time for a true appreciation of beauty on so many levels. Music, art, fashion... Maybe that should say something to us.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful post, I love the pictures. One thing that boggles my mind is the fact that each of these castles and churches (before the printing press etc.) would have different music and so would the peasants and farmers; they'd have their own different music. Then one could hop to the next village 100km over and their castle has a complete different repertoire and the townsfolk are singing a complete different set of folk songs. So much music, much I bet was unfortunately lost.

2:09 PM  

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home


View My Stats